Recommended readings and articles
Below are some recommended resources for learning more about Reiki, hypnotherapy, meditation, stress and pain management, smoking cessation, wellness and the use of complementary therapies within the fields of holistic nursing and integrative medicine.
- “Complementary medicine in palliative care and cancer symptom management.” Mansky PJ, Wallerstedt DB
Cancer J. 2006 Sep-Oct; 12(5):425-31.
- “Reiki: A Starting Point for Integrative Medicine.” Schiller, Robert M.D. Alternative Therapies. Mar/Apr. 2003, 9(2): 20-21.
- “Reiki: Rising Star in Complementary Cancer Care” Kate Jackson. Radiology Today, 2003 May; 16(7) 10-13.
- “Reiki: Review of a Biofield Therapy: History, Theory, Practice, and Research.” Miles, Pamela and True, Gala PhD. Alternative Therapies. Mar/Apr 2003. 9(2):62-72.
- “Using Reiki to manage pain: a preliminary report” Olson K, Hanson J. Cancer Prev Control 1997 Jun; 1 (2):108-13.
- "Using Reiki to Support Surgical Patients" Patricia Alandydy, Kristen Alandydy, 1999. Journal of Nursing Care Quality , 1999 Apr;13(4): pp. 89-91.
- “A Randomized Clinical Trial of a Brief Hypnosis Intervention to Control Side Effects in Breast Surgery Patients”
Guy H. Montgomery, Dana H. Bovbjerg, Julie B. Schnur, Daniel David, Alisan Goldfarb, Christina R. Weltz, Clyde Schechter, Joshua Graff-Zivin, Kristin Tatrow, Donald D. Price, and Jeffrey H. Silverstein. J Natl Cancer Inst 2007 99: 1304-1312.
- “The Mind Prepared: Hypnosis in Surgery” David Spiegel M.D. Natl Cancer Inst 2007 99: 1280-1281.
- “When medication is not enough: nonpharmacologic management of pain.” Gatlin CG, Schulmeister L. Clin J Oncol Nurs. 2007 Oct; 11(5):699-704.
- Holistic Nursing: A Handbook for Practice, 4th ed. Dossey, Barbara, RN, PhD, Keegan, Lynn, RN, HNC, PhD, FAAN, Guzzetta, Cathie RN, PhD, HNC, FAAN
- Reiki: A Comprehensive Guide by Pamela Miles
- Reiki: Energy Medicine by Maggie Chambers and Libby Barnett
- The Relaxation Response by Dr. Herbert Benson
- Beyond the Relaxation Response by Dr Herbert Benson
- From Stress to Strength by Dr Robert Eliot
- Mindfulness for Beginners by Jon Kabat-Zinn
- Minding the Body, Mending the Mind by Joan Borysenko
- Self-Hypnosis: The Complete Manual for Health and Self-Change by Brian Alman and Peter Lambrou
- Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence: Clinical Practice Guideline, published by the U.S. Public Health Service in June 2000.